Site Meter Site Meter

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Here We Go!

WOW! Didn't think I would ever do this............today is my first post on the new blog. I have thought about doing this for quite some time, but have been somewhat scared to put it out there.

First, let me say this. I have struggled with my weight my ENTIRE adult life. Lose 10 lbs., gain 15 lbs., lose 20 lbs., and then gain 25 lbs. I come from a family where we cook, and we like to eat. We're from the South - duh! :-) Food has always been a reward - not a means of gaining nutrition and full for your body! They say you can't blame who you are on your background, but I believe it certainly helps shape your life. Before you think, oh well she probably gained weight when she had children.........um NO I don't even have that excuse. No children around here.

Well I woke up on my 39th birthday this year. I had to face it - I was a size 16. Just about everything I owned didn't fit me. I could barely stand to look at my body when I got out of the shower and lotioned up every day. I had no IDEA how much I actually weighed, and was scared to look. I decided THIS would be the year. I would NOT turn 40 overweight!!! I didn't want to be winded going up 16 stairs! I was sick of having all those gorgeous clothes and not being able to wear them! So I went to dinner with my family, had a great meal. Woke up the next morning and started trying to change my life.

I'm not going to lie - it's HARD. Some days are good, it's pretty easy to exercise and eat right. Some days are awful hard, and I fall off the wagon and feel discouraged. But next August is right around the corner, and I want to be a size 6 when it gets here. I could care less about the number on the scale. I really don't weigh myself very often. I did weigh yesterday and so far I've lost 20 lbs. Join me as I try to lose the next 20!

8 comments:

  1. Lori,

    I am inspired :-) You go girl. I want to keep up with you on your blog and encourage you along the way. On your good days, enjoy the success and on your bad days don't wait till the next day to start doing better... start right then. I always felt if I blew it in the morning the whole day was blown.. not true! I don't know if you have read any of the posts I have made about having liver disease. It has been a surreal experience. The main problem I have is not being able to lose weight. Basically my liver will not let me. It just recycles fat, lipids, toxins etc. I am in stage III of the disease and in stage IV most people have a liver transplant. The course of treatment is to force your body to have to lose weight. So, remarkably I will have gastric bypass in Jan. I don't actually fit the criteria but I have blossomed from my comfortable size 10 to a full size 18. Like you I have struggled with hating my body. So I will admit I am ready to get rid of this disease and get rid of the weight. I want to start a blog about it to educate people but don't know how to start a blog. Could you email me how you did this? I love it and wish you the best of luck. You are beautiful... always have been and always will be with those beautiful blue eyes and that infectious smile.
    Good luck,
    Ashley Holmes McCrary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley, wow I had NO idea about your liver disease. I am so sorry to hear that, but I KNOW you are one strong chick and you can fight this. I'm off to email you now - take care of yourself and please keep me posted on your progress! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great Lori ! So proud of you ! for getting healthy ! can't wait to follow your updates and absolutely include all the wheelin and dealin tips and sectrets you know about ! Amy was very informative when she visited me ! I love to read blogs! So glad you're bloggin'!
    I started mine a few years ago! Got tired of E mailing every update , craft ideas & projects and pictures over & over ! So, blogging is a perfect way to share , inspire & be inspired ! A great place to be supported & offer support to others! I know you can impact others by sharing! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is so cool! Can't wait to see what you put up next!

    Be good!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, this is great! I am so proud of you. It seems like turning 40 was my turning point. I've put on the weight and struggling to get it off. People say "your tall, your not over weight" but i feel aweful. I would love to also hear how you are losing the weight and getting fit. This is such an encouragement. Keep me posted on how things are going. Take Care and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome, Lori. I've been working on the same thing. Since June, I have been able to lose 25 pounds and have gone from a size 14 to (almost) able to fit into a 6. It is a struggle EVERY day! I feel like an alcoholic sometimes, where if I go off the wagon and do one thing I shouldn't, I just end up going crazy. It is so hard, but so worth it. I pray you will have much success. The rewards are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey BABS! congrats on the first 20! love the blog, i think it's a great idea. and there are tons of people out there making a living from blogging...i totally think you should be one of them! at the very least, you could score some free products for reviewing them. ;)

    xoxox
    Kalle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive comments! I must admit I was a little scared to do this - I hated everyone to know just how out of shape and out of control I was! But....after thinking it through, I realized that at one time or another in our lives, a majority of us struggle with our weight. So thanks for supporting me, and for reading. I hope to keep it light and FUN and will begin to incorporate some of my shopping and saving $$ tips. And Kalle, I can only pray that someone would send me a few products to review. That would be NIRVANA!

    ReplyDelete